Tofu Scramble & Roasted Potatoes
Savory, Adaptable and Crowd-pleasing!
I love seeing all the gorgeous savory breakfasts in my feed each day but with our morning routine (translation: we wake up with just enough time to eat and get to school) such a breakfast just isn’t happening. So it is fun for us to make it for dinner.
My plate is tofu scramble with onions & turmeric, sautéed spinach, sautéed mushrooms, roasted potatoes and roasted tomatoes. My son opted for eggs and bacon with his veggies & potatoes. Either way, it was delicious!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Scrambled Tofu & Roasted Potatoes
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Breakfast, Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegan
- 1 container extra firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 green onions, white and green parts divided
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ - ½ tsp salt (depending on personal tastes)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Nutritional Yeast to taste -- Optional. I didn't have any today but add sometimes for additional flavor
- ½ cup -1 cup chopped bell pepper
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 5oz container fresh baby spinach
- 1 container cherry tomatoes
- 1 8oz container sliced mushrooms
- 1 bag of petite potatoes, any color or mixed
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced & divided
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh Rosemary, 1-2 tablespoons, optional for potatoes
- Pat dry tofu and cover in an absorbent towel or many paper towels then cover with a heavy pan and let sit for approx 15 minutes to release water.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil, then add onions and white parts green onion. Saute until translucent and tender, approx 10 minutes. (NOTE: if adding any additional veggies, add them after sauting the onions for about 5 minutes, then cook all the vegetables an additional 7-10 minutes or until tender)
- Unwrap tofu, and with a fork or your hands crumble tofu into bite size pieces and add tofu directly to the pan with the onions. Stir to combine.
- Add turmeric, salt and pepper and mix well. Everything will turn yellow! (add nutritional yeast now if using)
- Sauté approximately 5-7 minutes or until tofu is heated through. Taste and adjust to tastes as needed.
- Remove from heat, top with green part of green onion when serving. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add 2-3 minced garlic cloves and saute 30 seconds, until just fragrant. Add mushrooms and saute 7-10 minutes until tender. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add 2-3 minced garlic cloves and saute 30 seconds, until just fragrant. Add spinach and saute 2-4 minutes until wilted. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Gently toss tomatoes in a touch of olive oil
- Roast in a preheated 400 degree over for 10-15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and skin is starting to peel back
- Cut Potatoes in half or quarters, depending on preference
- Toss potatoes in olive oil.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary, if using.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the edges are crisp and golden