Simple Skillet Rice and Beans
Simple, delicious & versatile
When we need an easy, filling dish on Taco Tuesday (or any day!) we turn to Skillet Rice and Beans with toasted corn & tomatoes. It is easy to make, flavorful and fresh.
It’s simply rice & beans cooked up with sautéed onion in vegetable broth, mixed with toasted corn and fresh tomato salsa.
The family likes it with grilled chicken. My favorite way to eat it is over a bowl of lettuce and topped with creamy avocado. So yummy and cozy!
It also makes a large quantity so it there is extra for the next day.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Skillet Rice and Beans
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies, Sides
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen, dethawed Corn Kernels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add corn and cook, stirring occasionally until kernels begin to brown and pop, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Add in garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, mix well and cook about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add in broth, rice and beans. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and rice tender.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Gently fluff rice with a fork.
- Add in toasted corn and mix gently.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle tomato salsa over rice and beans and serve.