Shaved Brussels Sprout & Kale Salad in a Lemony Dijon Dressing
Savory, Tangy, Crunchy and addictively Delicious!
Words can not describe how much everyone loves this Shaved Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad!
And I mean it’s a REALLY GOOD Salad! It’s savory, tangy, crunchy and addictively delicious. The details… Shaved Brussels spouts, thinly sliced kale, a touch of pecorino cheese (could opt for a dairy free version), toasted almonds, and tart dried cherries (optional but recommended!) all tossed the tangy Lemony Dijon Dressing.
Because the kale is sliced thin and mixed with the tangy dressing, it’s not bitter at all. And because the kale is thin and the brussels shaved, people love even they’re not a kale or brussels sprouts person.
Recently, we’ve been loving this salad as a great alternative to romaine and other greens. It works equally well on its own, as a simple side with anything from pizza to a grilled protein or at a holiday table.
Scroll down for recipe.
Shave Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad in a Lemony Dijon Dressing
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Salad, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 4 cups of Tuscan Kale (about 1 bunch) (I have made it with both Tuscan and Curly Kale but usually use Tuscan)
- 4 cups shaved or thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3 tablespoons (or up to ¼ cup olive oil) (I switch it up depending on my mood and what else we're serving, but like it best with 3 tablespoons olive oil because I like the tanginess of the dressing. Add more olive oil to make it less lemony or tangy)
- Combine lemon juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and let sit for flavors to combine for minimally 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes while you prep the kale and brussel sprouts.
- Whisk olive oil into the lemon-mustard mixture.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a small skillet on the stove on medium high heat. Add almonds and stir frequently until just starting to turn golden brown in a few places, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Combine Kale and Brussels Sprouts in a large bowl. Add cheese and toss to combine. Pour ½ the dressing and toss to combine. Add remaining dressing as desired. Add cherries and almonds, reserving a few of each for garnish, and toss to combine. Garnish with additional almonds and cherries.