Perfectly Poached Pear Salad with Pomegranates
Savory and just a touch of sweet!
Every holiday meal deserves a fabulous green salad and this one adds great flavor and flair to the table!
Poached pears, dried cranberries, pomegranates, candied pecans and romaine in an tangy balsamic vinaigrette.
This salad will make an appearance at our Christmas Eve celebration. We enjoy the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve and salad is it’s own course, so this salad stands alone at the end of a great meal. It’s simple but has a lot of flavors so it can hold it’s own…. savory, a little crunch with the pecans, a touch of sweet and tangy with the balsamic vinaigrette.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Perfectly Poached Pear Salad
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Salads, Sides, Holiday
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegan
- 4 Bosc pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- Optional additions:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon half
- 2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 split vanilla bean
- 6-8 fresh ginger slices
- 7 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon shallot
- ¾ teaspoon mayo or vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pecans
- 4 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoon maple syrup
- Generous Pinch of sea salt
- Generous Pinch of cinnamon
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 quart water & sugar until sugar is dissolved. (Add any of the additional ingredients if you wish.)_
- Add pears & cover with a round of parchment paper, w/ a small hole cut in the center.
- Keep the liquid at a very low boil, simmer pears until cooked through, 15 to 25 mins.
- Remove from heat and let the pears cool in the liquid.
- OPTIONAL: After poaching the pears, while the liquid is still warm, add ½ cup dried cranberries and let them plump.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place raw pecans in single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet and toast for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients in a heat proof bowl.
- Remove pecans from oven and add to bowl with remaining ingredients. Gently stir to combine and place back on parchment lined baking sheet in single layer.
- Place back in oven and bake for another 4-6 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Store extra pecans in an a well sealed container.
- In a small bowl whisk all ingredients together. Set Aside.
- Mix lettuce with some vinaigrette. Top with pears, pecans, and cranberries then mix more vinaigrette to taste, and garnish with pomegranates.