Spinach Pie Bites
Perfect appetizer or snack!
Several years ago a friend developed this recipe for us because my son missed eating traditional spinach pies after being diagnosed celiac. They are essentially the spinach pie filling baked in mini muffin tins, and they’re AMAZING!
Savory, delicious & packed with nutrients, they have become a holiday appetizer tradition for us. They are fan favorites, and they freeze well, so I make them a week ahead when hosting an event.
And we love having leftovers because they are great with breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack or basically any time!
Can also be made in full size muffin tins if not serving as “finger food” appetizers.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Spinach Pie Bites
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Appetizers, Holidays, Snacks
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Grainless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 10 oz packages frozen spinach, thawed & well drained (I used Woodstock Foods Organic)
- 2 onions, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 bunches green onions, diced (I use the whites of both bunches, the greens of only 1 bunch, approximately a heaping ¾ cup of greens)
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I use ¼ of each)
- ¾ cup feta cheese, crumbled and divided
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten
- Wash and drain the chopped spinach very well.
- Heat olive oil in a deep sauté pan.
- Sauté onions and green onions until tender.
- Add the spinach and parsley, cook for 5 to 10 minutes on low, until the spinach is totally dry.
- Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the spinach aside to cool.
- Combine the ½ cup feta, parm and eggs.
- Add the cooled spinach mixture to the eggs and mix until combined.
- Before placing mixture in muffin tins, spray muffin tins liberally with a spray oil or line them with baking cups to make clean up easier.
- Fill muffin cups (reg or mini) ¾ full with mix, sprinkle the ¼ cup feta evenly across each muffin cup. (sprinkle with more as desired)
- Bake at 350° for about 20-30 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for a few days or in freezer for several months. Reheat frozen bites in oven or microwave. We prefer oven.