Lentil Walnut Tacos
Easy, Delicious and Satisfying!
These tacos are the perfect easy weekday meal — fresh, delicious and totally satisfying!
Gluten-free corn tortillas stuffed with lemony kale + tomato salsa + corn + lentil walnut taco filling and topped with smashed avocado and sour cream. The lentil walnut filling is essentially two ingredients + some spices mixed up in the food processor. The walnuts mixed with the lentils give it a “meaty” feel. Nutrient dense, super quick and easy and so yummy!
The filling makes enough for 4-6 servings but since it was just me and my husband enjoying them, we had extra which kept well in the refrigerator.
Recipe and inspiration from my friend Corey at The Vegan Six. I’m super excited that Corey let me share her lentil taco filling recipe with you. If you’re looking for more whole foods, plant-based recipes (mostly glutenfree or easily adapted), definitely check out Corey!
NOTE to Celiac Friends: Gluten-Free Watchdog has recently done more testing on lentils and cross contamination continues to be a potential issue. So WASH LENTILS BEFORE COOKING and pick through them or errant wheat and barley. For more, click here for the Gluten-Free Watchdog post.
Scroll down for recipe
Lentil Walnut Tacos
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1½ cups cooked French lentils (French lentils will give a heartier texture. Regular lentils will create a texture more like a lentil spread) NOTE: celiac friends, make sure lentils are labeled gluten-free, rinsed and picked through. See comments about lentils and cross contamination above.
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- ⅓ cup red onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or neutral oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large leaves curly kale, coarsely chopped (approximately 1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Add all ingredients, except ¼ -1/2 cup lentils, to a food processor and pulse 6-7x until taco "meat" texture forms. Place in a bowl and mix with reserved lentils. Note: We love whole lentils but feel free to pulse the lentils in the food processor if you want more of a meaty texture.
- Mix ingredients together in a medium bowl
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl and gently massage with lemon juice
- Heat tortillas in a microwave (under a damp paper towel works best to make them soft and pliant). Top each tortilla with kale, lentil walnut taco meat, salsa, corn, smashed avocado and sour cream. Garnish with fresh cilantro and or scallions to taste.