Hidden Cauliflower Fried Rice
Quick, Savory & Delish!
Looks like our Quick and Easy Fried Rice but it’s HIDDEN CAULIFLOWER Fried Rice!
Inspired by my friend Erin Meaningful Eats, I decided to try our favorite fried rice with a blend of regular rice and cauliflower “rice”. Erin’s mix is a 50/50 split but I didn’t think I could slip in that much cauliflower without my family (read teen boys) noticing. So I made the fried rice using 2 cups regular rice: 1 cup cauliflower rice.
The verdict? My husband and I loved the taste, texture and the extra nutritional boost! The boys prefer all rice-Fried Rice but I’ll keep trying to sneak it by them 🙂
Either way, fried rice is a family favorite. Packed with whatever veggies you like or have on hand, and with or without additional protein, it’s a one pan dish, packed with flavor and super quick & easy!
This one was made with my son’s favorites mind… egg, broccoli, snow peas and spinach.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Hidden Cauliflower Fried Rice
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Side
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil, separated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, white part separated from greens
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Approx 2 cups cooked & cooled brown or white rice (I usually use day old or left over rice)
- 2-3 c chopped veggies (ideas: broccoli, snow peas, carrots, greens. mushrooms, mung bean sprouts)
- 1 cup finely chopped Cauliflower Rice (either prepackaged or make your own using the head of a cauliflower, see below)
- 2-3 tbsp gluten free tamari (we prefer low sodium gluten-free tamari)
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar (you could add up to 1 tsp but my son prefers less)
- Optional add ins: cooked chicken, tofu, egg, nuts or seeds (My son likes 2 eggs, scrambled directly into the rice)
- If using a prepackaged cauliflower rice, you could use as is or I found that I preferred it chopped a little more finely so I pulsed it in a food processor 4-5 times.
- If making from scratch, place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until broken down to small pieces the size of rice. If making my own, I like to place the "rice" in a strainer covered in a few towels to help absorb out some of the moisture while I prep the rest of the dish.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Sauté onion & white part of green onion until soft & translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic. Sauté till fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add in rice, cauliflower rice and 1 tbsp sesame oil and stir well, breaking up any clumps and coating with the oil and onions as you stir. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly or rice will stick to skillet for about 5-7 minutes until rice and cauliflower rice heated and soft.
- If adding egg, make a well in the center, spray with a cooking oil and add lightly whisked eggs and scramble. (you can also make eggs separately & add in later if not everyone is eating the egg).
- Add in vegetables, including greens of green onion, and mix well with rice for approximately a minute.
- Add in tamari and vinegar. Mix well and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and add additional tamari, vinegar, salt and pepper as needed.