Fluffy Oatmeal Pancakes
Fluffy, Filling but not heavy and DELISH!
If you follow my Instagram stories, you know my son LOVES breakfast! On weekdays, he usually eats eggs with toast and fruit, on Saturdays he loves to make a bacon and egg sandwich and on Sundays we make Pancakes!
We used to make pancakes only with a mix (nothing wrong with a mix — we still use one some mornings!) but at the recommendation of a friend we branched out a year ago and tried a made-from-scratch pancake recipe…It was a total hit! We have been eating these Fluffy Oatmeal Pancakes ever since! They are filling without being heavy and delish!
Recipe adapted from Genius Kitchen,the batter is super easy to make and makes a large quantity. You could cut the recipe in half but we like to make the full recipe and save half the batter in the refrigerator for the next day. Nothing better than cooking once, eating twice!
BONUS! For the next 2 days we are offering a Flash Coupon on GF Jules (affiliate link) products on her website! Use code HGFF for 15% off any order over $20, now through January 14.
A note about Oats: Oats are naturally gluten-free BUT they are prone to cross contamination in the growing process which is of concern for people who are gluten-free for medical reasons such as celiac disease. The safest gluten-free oats are grown via a process known as purity protocol to eliminate cross contamination. As the demand for gluten-free products has grown, many manufacturers use gluten-free oats that are sorted and there are questions surrounding this practice. Gluten-Free Watchdog has done lots of research and writing about this topic to which I’ve linked to if you want to read more. I’m also linking to a post by GF Jules about this topic and to the Gluten-Free Watchdog list of Oats grown under Purity Protocol.
Scroll down for recipe and leave a comment if you try it.
Fluffy Oatmeal Pancakes
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian
- 2 cups milk (we used skim milk)
- 2 cups Gluten-Free rolled oats
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup gluten-free flour (we used GF Jules (affiliate link)all purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 scant teaspoon salt (I usually use just a little less than 1 teaspoon)
- In a large mixing bowl, pour milk over oats and let stand 5-10 minutes. (we find the longer they soak, the better!)
- Add and beat in eggs, followed by oil, then add and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Note: Original recipe says batter will be thin but we actually found batter to be average to thick each time we've made these. NEW NOTE: I've found that the pancakes are fluffier and cook better when the batter is thicker, so if batter seems thin, let is sit and settle 5 minutes before next step.
- Heat a large fry pan or griddle, spray with cooking spray, and scoop mixture onto pan. Cook both sides 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides.