Crispy Zucchini Fries
Crispy outside, Tender inside & Addictively Delicious!
We love all kinds of fries in our house and I’m not going to lie, with two teen boys we make and eat A LOT of potato fries (cut them in 1/2 inch strips, toss in oil, sprinkle with salt, bake at 400 degrees for 30 minute and they are amazing every time!) BUT we also like to switch it up!
Zucchini Fries are a healthy and really yummy alternative to the classic potato fry and a great way to get in those veggies! To be honest, this is the ONLY way my boys like zucchini at the moment! And while they are particularly tasty in the Summer and Fall when zucchini are their freshest, we love them all year round.
Crispy outside, tender inside, packed with flavor and surprisingly easy to make. You start with the goodness of zucchini, dip them in egg, then a mix of Gluten-free Panko Crumbs and parmesan cheese (we added a dairy free, nut free parm recipe from The Vegan Six that works beautifully as well), then bake or fry. That’s it!
And Baked (like I did yesterday, see below for photo) or Fried (I fried them in this photo in my Cuisanart Compact Deep Fryer), these Zucchini Fries always crispy and yummy!
Served here with an organic marinara sauce, they also pair well with a Sriracha mayo or dipping sauce or a ranch dressing (here’s the link to our favorite vegan ranch dressing )
Scroll down to see the recipe and leave a comment if you try.
Crispy Zucchini Fries
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Sides, snacks, veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian
- 3 Zucchini, cut into ¼ - ½ in thick sticks, about 3 inches in length (This time the zucchini were not too large so I cut the whole zucchini in half widthwise, then again lengthwise, then cut each quarter into 4 strips, so each zucchini yielded 16 fries)
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ cup Gluten-free Panko bread crumbs (we like Aleia's GF Amazon Affiliate link)
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese or dairy-free Parm**
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ⅔ cups roasted, salted pepitas
- 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Blend on high in a small blender or food processor. Store in the refrigerator.
- Set up an assembly line with 2 bowls. In one bowl, whisk eggs. In the other bowl mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and salt.
- Dip zucchini in egg letting excess drip off. Then dip in panko/ cheese mixture to coat and set aside on baking sheet, leaving some space between each breaded zucchini for maximum crispness when baking. Repeat until zucchini are all breaded.
- Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown
- If zucchini are cut thick or not tender enough in center, cover baking sheet lightly with foil, return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Preheat Fryer to 350 degrees.
- In batches, lay breaded zucchini strips in the fry basket and bake for 4-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the zucchini)