Veggie Pizza on a homemade Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Savory and melt in your mouth yummy!
Today was the first snow of the season and we were snowed in. So I used every vegetable I had in the kitchen to make a veggie version of the Greens on Green pizza I made earlier the year.
Roasted zucchini & eggplant, sautéed red pepper & red onion, Vegan Basil Pumpkin Seed Pesto (recipe from my friend Nancy @urban kitchen apothecary), feta and micro greens on a homemade cauliflower pizza crust with a fennel-sesame seed-salt mix to finish. It’s an AMAZING combination of flavors! (Or at least my husband and I thought so… A few too many vegetables for the boys )..
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Veggie Pizza on homemade Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- ⅓ cup pepitas
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- pinch of sea salt + black pepper
- garlic, 2-3 cloves minced
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced into think strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into thin circles
- 1 small summer squash, sliced into thin circles
- 1 ichiban eggplant or small eggplant, sliced into thin circles
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Approximately ¼ cup crumbled feta, or to taste (optional)
- micro greens for garnish
- Mix of fennel seeds, toasted sesame seeds, salt (I mixed at a 1 to 1 ratio), to taste
- 1 package cauliflower rice or 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped (should yield 2-3 cups fine rice once processed)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- Blend all the pesto ingredients together using a food processor or blender.
- Note: I didn't have any trouble blending it in a blender but if too thick or difficult to blend add an additional 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Set aside
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan, add garlic. Saute 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add peppers and onions. Saute 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- One vegetable at a time, toss zucchini, squash and eggplant in a touch of olive oil, lay in a single layer on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake 20-30 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Spoon Pesto over pizza crust leaving a ¼ in edge
- Top with zucchini, squash, and eggplant.
- Top with pepper and onions.
- Top with feta if using.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes or until cheese is warm.
- Top with micro greens and sesame seed, fennel, salt mix to taste
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until resembles a powdery snow (about 30 seconds to 1 minute)
- Place cauliflower is a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Then pour cauliflower on a clean towel or cheese cloth. Let cool a bit.
- Once cauliflower cool enough to handle, wrap it in cheese cloth or towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure a chewy crust.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl. Add parmesan, mozzarella, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder. Lastly add egg and mix together. Hands tend to work best.
- Form the dough into a crust oiled foil. Pat down well into desired shape.
- Bake in 450F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until it starts to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven and add your toppings.