Quick, easy and delish!
While we are always trying new dishes, there are some that are on repeat because they are quick, easy and crowd-pleasing. This Vegetable Fried Rice is one of those dishes.
Perfect by itself or along side other veggies or proteins, one of the reasons we love fried rice (besides the fact that it’s delicious!) is that it’s so versatile. It uses up any vegetables and rice, and can be adapted to tastes, adding in favorite vegetables and any additional protein desired (tofu, chicken, egg). My son loves his with egg, broccoli, snow peas and carrots. In this one, I also threw in some mushrooms and mung bean sprouts because I had some in the fridge.
Scroll down for the recipe.
Vegetable Fried Rice
Vegetable Fried Rice
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Entree or Side
Cuisine: Fried Rice, Gluten-free, Vegan
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil, separated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, white part separated from greens
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Approx 2 cups cooked & cooled brown or white rice (I usually use day old or left over rice)
- 2-3 c chopped veggies (ideas: broccoli, snow peas, carrots, greens. mushrooms, mung bean sprouts)
- ¼ cup vegetrable broth, chicken broth or water (use slightly less for a drier rice)
- 2-3 tbsp gluten free tamari
- ½- tsp rice wine vinegar (you could add up to 1tsp but my son prefers less)
- Optional add ins: cooked chicken, tofu, egg, nuts or seeds (My son likes 2 eggs, scrambled directly into the rice)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Sauté onion & white part of green onion until soft & translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic. Sauté till fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add in rice, 1 tbsp sesame oil and stir well, breaking up any clumps and coating with the oil and onions as you stir, approximately 2 minutes. Stir constantly or rice will stick to skillet
- If adding egg, make a well in the center, spray with a cooking oil and add lightly whisked eggs and scramble. (you can also make eggs separately & add in later if not everyone is eating the egg).
- Add in vegetables, including greens of green onion, and mix well with rice for approximately a minute.
- Add in broth, and stir in well for 1 minute.
- Add in tamari and vinegar. Mix well and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.