Perfect texture and taste!
Each year we make lots of holiday cookies that we only make once a year and that makes them extra special.
But a few years ago, we started making our gluten-free sugar cookie recipe at Valentines Day too because there is nothing better! The recipe dates back to my Grandmother’s sister, and these are the perfect texture! They are light and crisp with a subtle butter flavor, and not too sweet.
This recipe makes a huge quantity! It’s time consuming to roll out all the dough so we like to halve it for Valentine’s Day. There are still plenty of cookies to go around, but only half the work!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Valentine’s Sugar Cookies
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Bakery, Cookies, Dessert, Holidays
- 1 cup butter (I use 1 stick salted, 1 stick unsalted)
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 cups flour, then 1½ c more flour (I use GF Jules)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix very well with the butter.
- Add the vanilla and milk, the 2 eggs and blend well.
- Sift together the 3 cups of flour, baking powder and salt and then add to the above mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1½ cup more flour or less as needed. The idea is that it should be stiff enough to roll.
- Chill (at least 1 hour - I usually make the day before and then take it out to almost room temp so that it is easy to roll) and roll and cut out, sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes on ungreased tin.