HELLOOOO Gluten-Free Stuffing! This stuffing is life changing. Ok, maybe that’s a little dramatic but if you need to eat gluten-free, the holidays can be tricky for many people. Being able to enjoy traditional holiday favorites can be a really big deal and trust me, everyone at the table will be raving about this dish!
The key is starting with a great baguette and toasting it. We used baguettes from Everybody Eats NYC, cubed and baked at 200° for about 40 minutes to dehydrate it. So you start with really crispy but not rock-hard bread. It’s mixed with sautéed onions, celery, garlic & optional other veggies, chicken or veggie broth, and plenty of parsley and sage, then baked. That’s it!
This recipe is from a longtime friend, herself a total foodie and fellow mom of a celiac child. For years her family made 2 stuffings at Thanksgiving – one gluten-free, one not. Now they only want this Gluten-free one… it’s that good!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Holiday, sides
- 2-3 large Gluten-free baguettes, cut into 1 inch cubes and toasted (bake at 200 approx 30-40 min until lightly crisped & dehydrated) - we used Everybody Eats NYC
- 1 stick butter (we used Earth Balance dairy-free sticks)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1½ cups celery, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Optional: sliced mushrooms (mix of shitake and baby Bella)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 Tbsp fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage
- Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with cooking oil
- Melt butter in a large skillet
- Sauté veggies including garlic in butter over med/low heat until veggies are soft and the onion is translucent
- Season with pepper and garlic powder
- Pour over toasted cubes and toss to coat
- Add broth
- Mix gently so that bread is evenly moist
- Add and mix in parsley and sage
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired
- Transfer to prepared dish
- Bake (covered with tin foil to keep moist) for 40 minutes
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 mins for the top to get crispy
- Very good made ahead and reheated!