Simple, delicious & versatile
Craving this Skillet Rice and Beans with toasted corn & tomatoes and we decided we need to make it again soon. It is easy to make, flavorful and fresh. I could seriously eat it every day, it’s so good.
It is the perfect family friendly dish because is it so versatile. I love it just topped with avocado. The rest of the family likes it plain or with grilled chicken.
It also makes a large quantity so it there is extra for the next day.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Simple Skillet Rice and Beans
Skillet Rice and Beans
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ frozen corn, toasted (cook with a touch of oil, over medium heat approx 5 minutes)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Add in garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, mix well and cook about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add in broth, rice and beans. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and rice tender.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Gently fluff rice with a fork.
- Add in toasted corn and mix gently.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle tomato salsa over rice and beans and serve.