Cozy and crowd-pleasing!
Saturday night plans… This bowl and Netflix 🍴🎬.
I started the day with a plan to try two new guacamole recipes. It evolved into a dinner with all our Mexican favorites… Mexican Rice, Quick Simmered Black Beans, Pineapple Glazed Brussels Sprouts, and, not shown, grilled chicken for the boys. Can’t think of a better way to Saturday!
Super Simple stovetop to oven Mexican Rice and Quick Simmered Black Beans, adapted from America’s Test Kitchen. Guacamole recipe coming soon!
Scroll down for the recipe for Mexican Rice.
Saturday Night Mexican Fiesta Bowl
Click here for Pineapple Glazed Brussel Sprouts
Mexican Rice & Quick Simmered Black Beans
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Sides
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegan
- 2 large or 3-4 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded & minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and minced, include seeds
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free tomato paste
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground red pepper
- 14 oz chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place tomatoes and onion in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Transfer liquid to a 4 cup measuring cup and spoon off excess as needed to get to 2 cups.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Drop a few grains of rice into the oil. If the grain sizzles, oil is ready. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently until rice is a light golden & translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic & seeded jalapeño and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add in tomato-onion mixture, broth, tomato paste and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and transfer pot to the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once at 15 minutes. Liquid will absorb and rice will be tender.
- Remove from oven, fold in cilantro and final jalapeño to taste. Only one person in my family likes the additional jalapeño so I leave it out to be added individually.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add red onion and saute till just getting tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add water, cumin, ground red pepper, chicken or vegetable broth, and black beans, and let simmer on low till liquid mostly absorbed.