Cozy and delicious!
There’s a snowstorm coming our way, but my plate is warm and cozy. Creamy polenta, topped with a sea of roasted veggies and homemade rosemary-infused tomato sauce.
I “made” the family eat polenta again because I wanted to snap a photo and share my mother-in-law’s AMAAAAZING tomato sauce. My husband grew up eating this sauce with chicken over a plate of warm polenta (see photo below).
As I don’t personally eat meat, I’ve always enjoyed the sauce and polenta with roasted veggies and/or some fresh mozzarella. But the key is the tomato sauce! It’s infused with a ton of rosemary, garlic and white wine for a delicious savory flavor. The house smells amazing and the food tastes even better!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Roasted Veggies, Rosemary Tomato Sauce & Creamy Polenta
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped.
- 1 heaping tbsp (closer to 1.5 tbsps) Rosemary, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ sea salt
- cheese cloth & string
- ½ cup white wine
- Olive oil for sautéing chicken
- 1 lb chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces (leave out if making vegetarian)
- 1 750g box of Strained Tomatoes (we use Pomi)
- 1 package pre-cut cauliflower & broccoli mix, or ½ head cauliflower, chopped and ½ head broccoli, chopped
- 1 package pre-cut mushrooms, or 1 package mushrooms, rinsed & chopped
- 1 package organic cherry tomatoes, rinsed
- 1 package pre-cut yellow squash and zucchini mix or 1 yellow squash & 1 zucchini, rinsed and sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lots! (probably 4-5 tbsp)
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 6-7 Garlic cloves, some sliced, some minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 or 2 cups, prepared according to package
- Place chopped garlic, rosemary and salts in a cheese close. Wrap the cloth around the mix and tie it closed with a string or another piece of cheese cloth.
- Pour white wine in a liquid measure cup and place wrapped up cheese cloth with rosemary and garlic directly into the wine. Let soak for 20-30 minutes. The longer it soaks the greater the infusion of flavor.
- Meanwhile if using chicken, in a large fry pan, saute chicken in olive oil.
- When chicken is browned, add wine and cheese cloth directly to the pan and let wine cook off, approx 5 minutes
- Add strained tomatoes & 1 cup of water to the chicken mix and let it simmer with the cheese cloth still in the pan for an hour or more.
- If not using chicken, heat strained tomatoes & 1 cup water in a sauce pan, add wine and cheese cloth mix and simmer for an hour or more.
- Remove cheese cloth before serving.
- All the vegetables were placed individually in a single layer on baking sheets and roasted at 400 degrees for varying times and with the following seasoning (feel free to adjust to taste)
- Squash and Zucchini - Toss in olive oil, garlic slices and rosemary; Roast for 25 minutes
- Cauliflower & Broccoli - Toss in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt; Roast 25 minutes
- Mushrooms - Toss in olive oil, minced garlic and rosemary; Roast 15 minutes
- Cherry tomatoes - Toss in olive oil, garlic & rosemary optional; Roast 10 minutes
- Prepare polenta according to package
- Pour sauce over warm polenta, top with chicken or vegetables to taste. Add fresh mozzarella if desired.