Easy and delicious!
Not sure if there really is such a thing as an open-faced quesadilla but I wanted something a bit lighter today so I made our favorite vegetable and bean taco mix and placed it atop a gluten-free flour tortilla and left off the top!
Carrots, peppers, mushrooms, squash and black beans in a Mexican blend, this mix is a favorite of ours that can be made ahead and works equally well in a quesadilla, burrito or taco. It always makes a large quantity which is great for leftovers too.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Open-faced Veggie and Black Bean Quesadilla
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegan
- 1- 2 gluten free flour tortillas
- Veggie Mixture:
- 1-2 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, peeled & chopped
- 1 container chopped mushrooms
- 1 can black beans
- 1¼ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Heat canola oil in a large saute pan.
- Add pepper & carrots. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until just starting to get tender.
- Add garlic and saute for approx 1 minute until tender & fragrant.
- Add and mix in squash, mushrooms and beans.
- Add spices and mix well. (You can add more or less according to tastes).
- Let simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring periodically, until tender. (Veggie mix can be made ahead and warmed up when ready to eat).
- When ready to eat, heat a fry pan over medium heat. Spray with canola oil. Place tortilla in pan and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes or until heated and just starting to brown. Flip and heat other side.
- Place heated tortilla on a plate and top with Veggie Mixture.
- Enjoy as is open-faced or heat a second tortilla and top it for a classic quesadilla.