Perfect Snack or App!
Whenever we have a holiday or event, “Mini Spinach Pies” get baked and go in the freezer for the the big day!
Several years ago a friend developed this recipe for us because my son missed eating traditional spinach pies after being diagnosed celiac. These are essentially the spinach pie filling baked in mini muffin tins, and it’s AMAZING! Delicious & packed with nutrients, they make a great snack or appetizer. They freeze well so I make them a week ahead when hosting an event.
These are so good! For some reason, I tend to only make these around holidays these days… I have to remember to make them again and keep a stash in the freezer for snacks: they great with just about anything!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Mini Spinach Pies
Mini Spinach Pies
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Appetizers, Holidays, Super Bowl, Sides, Snacks, Veggies
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 10 oz packages frozen spinach, thawed & well drained (I used Woodstock Foods Organic)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 bunches green onions, diced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I use ¼ of each)
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled, plus extra for sprinkling on top if desired
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten
- Wash and drain the chopped spinach very well.
- Heat olive oil in a deep sauté pan.
- Sauté onions and green onions until tender.
- Add the spinach and parsley, cook for 5 to 10 minutes on low, until the spinach is totally dry.
- Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the spinach aside to cool.
- Combine the feta, parm and eggs.
- Add the cooled spinach mixture to the eggs and mix until combined.
- Fill muffin cups (reg or mini) ¾ full with mix, sprinkle extra feta if desired.
- Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes, or until eggs are set.