Loaded with flavor!
Before my son had to eat gluten-free I fell in love with a vegetarian tofu Banh Mi sandwich recipe from Cooking Light. It had lemongrass pan seared tofu, pickled carrot, radish and cilantro relish, and spicy Sriracha mayo.
I hadn’t made it for a while but was craving it so I used the flavors as inspiration for this Buddha bowl with brown rice, lemongrass roasted tofu, pickled carrots and radishes, spicy pickled cucumbers, avocado and of course a Sriracha drizzle. Even better than I remembered!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Lemongrass Tofu “Banh Mi” Buddha Bowl
Lemongrass Tofu "Banh Mi" Buddha Bowl
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Salad, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- 1 14oz package of extra firm tofu, rinsed and drained, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 2 tsp sesame oil, divided
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup matchstick cut radishes
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- 1½ tbsp fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp canola or Vegan mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp Sriracha
- 1 cup white or brown rice, prepared according to package
- ½ avocado, sliced
- pea sprouts and sesame seeds for garnish
- Prepare rice according to package.
- Prepare tofu:Combined lemongrass, 2 tbsp water, tamari, and 1 tsp sesame oil in bowl. Add tofu and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Lay tofu cubes in single layer on prepared baking sheet. In a preheated 450 degree oven, roast tofu for 10 minutes, flip it, then roast another 5 minutes until golden brown (it will also puff up a bit)
- Prepare pickled veggies: Combine vinegar, ¼ cup water, sugar and salt, stirring until dissolved. Add carrots, radish and cucumbers. Let sit for 30 minutes-1 hour. Drain and stir in cilantro.
- Prepare Mayo: combine remaining 1 tsp oil, mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Assemble in a big bowl, adding avocado, pea sprouts and sesame seeds.