An easy and cozy weekday dinner
It’s a fried rice kind of day! It’s cold, rainy and I wanted something easy and cozy. Is there anything better than rice & veggies thrown in a pan and stir-fried with some seasoning? It’s always a crowd-pleaser in our house.
The thing we love about fried rice is it’s so versatile. I follow a basic “recipe” but really add in whatever we have in the fridge. This is onions, broccoli, snow peas, carrots, and mushrooms all stir fried with brown rice.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
It’s a Vegetable Fried Rice kind of day!
Vegetable Fried Rice
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Entree or Side
Cuisine: Fried Rice, Gluten-free, Vegan
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil, separated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, white part separated from greens
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Approx 2 cups cooked & cooled brown or white rice (I usually use day old or left over rice)
- 2-3 c chopped veggies (ideas: broccoli, snow peas, carrots, greens)
- ¼ cup vegetrable broth, chicken broth or water (use slightly less for a drier rice)
- 2-3 tbsp gluten free tamari
- ½- tsp rice wine vinegar (you could add up to 1tsp but my son prefers less)
- Optional add ins: cooked chicken, tofu, egg, nuts or seeds
- My son likes 2 eggs, scrambled directly into the rice
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Sauté onion & white part of green onion until soft & translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic. Sauté till fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add in rice, 1 tbsp sesame oil and stir well, breaking up any clumps and coating with the oil and onions as you stir, approximately 2 minutes. Stir constantly or rice will stick to skillet
- If adding egg, make a well in the center, spray with a cooking oil and add lightly whisked eggs and scramble. (you can also make eggs separately and add in if not everyone is eating the egg).
- Add in vegetables, including greens of green onion, and mix well with rice for approximately a minute.
- Add in broth, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Then add in tamari and vinegar.
- Mix well and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.