Greens on Green!
For this Pi Day, we recreated my friend Nancy’s (of Urban Kitchen Apothecary) Green on Green pizza using a homemade cauliflower crust. Cauliflower Crust with Sautéed Kale & Chickpeas, Basil-Pumpkin Seed Pesto, Goat Cheese, Feta Cheese, topped with a fennel-sesame seed-salt mix and arugula micro-greens to finish. It’s an AMAZING combination of flavors!
My son who’s not usually a fan of pesto loved it too!
We also really enjoyed the cauliflower pizza crust for a change. I don’t often make it because it seems like a lot of work even though it really isn’t. But just because I don’t always have time to make my own pizza crust, I’ve recently order some pre-made cauliflower pizza crust which I can’t wait to try and share with you.
If you’re not familiar with Nancy of Urban Kitchen Apothecary, she is a natural foods chef & MD who creates the most enticing dishes using really interesting flavor combos. She’s also a Gomasio dealer. If, like me, you didn’t know what Gomasio is, it’s seasoning made from toasted sesame seeds and salt partially ground together and often mixed with other spices. I’ve never tried hers, but can’t wait to because my homemade stand-in had the perfect crunch and flavor!
With Nancy’s permission, I’ve reprinted her pesto recipe below as well as approximation of the rest of the pizza toppings. Whether you make a cauliflower crust or use a store bought crust, it’s worth trying these toppings… so yummy!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust with Kale, Chickpeas & Basil-Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Cauliflower Pizza Crust with Kale & Basil-Pumpkin Seed Pesto!
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- ⅓ cup pepitas
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- pinch of sea salt + black pepper
- 1 container chopped kale or 1 bunch kale, chopped
- Approximately 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp crush red pepper, or to taste (Optional)
- Approximately ¼ cup goat cheese, or to taste
- Approximately ¼ cup crumbled feta, or to taste
- Arugula micro greens or other micro greens
- Mix of fennel seeds, toasted sesame seeds, salt (I mixed at a 1 to 1 ratio), to taste
- 1 package cauliflower rice or 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped (should yield 2-3 cups fine rice once processed)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- Blend all the pesto ingredients together using a food processor or blender.
- Note: I didn't have any trouble blending it in a blender but if too thick or difficult to blend add an additional 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Set aside
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan, add crushed pepper if desired and stir approximately 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas and saute for approx 5-7 minutes or until just starting to brown
- Add kale and saute until just wilted
- Set aside.
- Spoon Pesto over pizza crust leaving a ¼ in edge
- Top with Kale and chickpea mixture
- Top with cheeses
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with arugula micro greens and sesame seed, fennel, salt mix to taste
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until resembles a powdery snow (about 30 seconds to 1 minute)
- Place cauliflower is a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Then pour cauliflower on a clean towel or cheese cloth. Let cool a bit.
- Once cauliflower cool enough to handle, wrap it in cheese cloth or towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure a chewy crust.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl. Add parmesan, mozzarella, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder. Lastly add egg and mix together. Hands tend to work best.
- Form the dough into a crust oiled foil. Pat down well into desired shape.
- Bake in 450F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until it starts to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven and add your toppings.