Perfect to make now and eat later.
There’s something about pasta on Sunday and this Baked Ziti is a family favorite. Barilla US gluten-free penne, mixed with part-skim ricotta, mozzarella, homemade tomato sauce and topped with parmigiana reggiano.
Always a crowd pleaser, I made this early today because we will be out most of the afternoon with kids sports & activities but are having a small family dinner for my MIL’s birthday later. With this Baked Ziti prepped, we will pop it in the oven later, add a big salad and dinner is served!
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta
- 1½ lb part skim ricotta
- ½-1 cup diced mozzarella (depending on taste)
- 1 egg
- Parmigiana reggiano for sprinkling
- Tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 1 12 oz box penne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 6oz Plain tomato paste (we like Contandina tomato paste. Be sure use plain, not seasoned, as seasoned sometimes contain wheat)
- 2 Tomato purée (we use Pomi Strained Tomatoes, 26.46oz)
- Dried basil
- Cook pasta until al dente & drain.
- Meanwhile in a big bowl mix ricotta & egg.
- Add in mozzarella.
- Add cooked pasta & several large spoonfuls of sauce and mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with sauce and transfer pasta mixture to dish.
- Cover with sauce.
- Sprinkle liberally with parmigiana reggiano.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
- Heat olive oil under medium heat
- Sauté garlic until just starting to brown
- Add tomato paste & stir in with olive oil
- Add tomato puree & stir together (If you want to make more or less, stick with ratio of 1 paste:1 puree)
- Add 1 cup of water or more till desired thickness
- Add lots of dried basil (I use approx 1½ TBSP)
- Add pepper to taste (I use approx ¼ tsp)
- Add salt to taste (I tend not to use)
- Simmer for at least an hour, the longer the better
- Add water as needed